The George in Rye has been providing hospitality to guests and those with specific needs for over 200 years. During this time society and individuals expectations have changed enormously and at The George in Rye we have always tried to match these expectations. In a Georgian building which was completed in the Regency period this has not always been easy, however, where possible we have tried to make the hotel accessible to all whilst retaining its wonderful character.
We request that anyone wishing to make an enquiry or booking inform us of any special needs that they may have in order for us to meet any personal requirements.
• You may park at the front entrance of the hotel to drop off luggage or passengers
• Our team are available to help with luggage
• If arriving by train we can order a taxi for guests with advance notice.
• There are two steps into the main entrance from the High Street; however, our Lion Street entrance has one step to navigate
• Wheelchair access - with our front entrance, we can provide a DDA ramp for wheelchair users; please call in advance with your estimated time of arrival and ask to speak to the Operations Manager to discuss your requirements so we can organise assistance as required.
• Once inside the hotel there is access to Reception with no steps or ramps
• We have a hearing loop at Reception
• A DDA kit is available at Reception
The Ground Floor
• The ground floor is on two levels
• There are no steps from the reception to the Dining Room
• There are two steps from the Reception to the Bar area
• The bar may be too high for those in a wheel chair, if this is the case a waiter service will be offered
• We can provide a hearing loop within the bar and restaurant
• A DDA kit is available for use in the bar and restaurant
• There are 4 steps to the public toilets.
• With clear direction from a member of staff we have a disabled access toilet via our courtyard terrace.
• We do not have a lift in the hotel
• A banister runs all the way up the stairs to each floor on the right hand side of the stairs
• Corridors are well lit
• Bedrooms are on three floors. These floors do contain stairs to some rooms therefore please make it clear at the time of your reservation that you would require level access to your bedroom
• Bedroom lighting is of different levels
• Non-feather or synthetic pillows and duvets are available on request
• The fire alarm is audio only however systems have been put in place to ensure the safe exit of all guests in the case of an emergency. If you have any concerns on this issue our Duty Manager will be pleased to talk to you about these procedures
• Bedrooms have been provided with an awareness card that can be hung outside your room. They are to indicate that you may need assistance in the event of an evacuation
• The George has an accessible bedroom as part of its inventory, which can be accessed via the ground floor (from Lion Street entrance). Its front door has a perko type closer to aid entry, the door is sufficiently wide for wheelchair entry and the bathroom has accessible fittings for example, an alarm pull cord, a pull down WC bar and low level mirrors to the sink. There is also a second bed in the bed (with a privacy curtain), ideal for sleeping a carer or additional sleeper.
• Most diets can be catered for by prior arrangement
• It cannot be guaranteed that our dishes do not contain nuts or nut traces
• A table near the door in the dining room can be arranged for easy access
• Most chairs are non fixed in the dining room
• Chairs with arms are available in the dining room on request
• A large print menu is available on request
• Guide dogs are welcome
• Reception is manned 24 hours a day
• Room service is available to any guests wishing to have meals in their rooms
• The hotel has no signs or literature in Braille
• This accessibility statement is reviewed and updated on an ongoing basis to adhere to best practice and current health & safety legislation
The George in Rye.