All Saints Parish Church in Lydd is known as "The Cathedral of the Marsh" because of its great size. At 199ft, it is the longest in Kent.
The Tower, one of the tallest in Kent at 132ft, with its unusual double west doors, was completed in the early 16th Century . There are 8 bells in the tower, and they are rung from a room half way up. The largest bell, known as the Tenor, weighs over 15cwt (790 kg). In the fine ceiling of the tower is a trap used for installing bells. The story is told of someone who fell through the trap one evening - but fortunately was holding on to a bell rope!
In Victorian times, the church was cluttered with box pews and a high pulpit, and the organ was in the present Lady Chapel. The East window was one large stained glass window, the choir stalls were situated close to the high altar, and the ceiling was of dark oak panelling. In 1887 when soldiers paraded to church from the army camp, the present pews were installed, enough to seat about 1,200 people.
In 1940, during World War II, the Sanctuary was destroyed by a bomb, and the roofs and windows badly damaged. Someone playing the organ at the time had a miraculous escape, as did two others who were pumping the organ bellows, and two soldiers on watch at the top of the tower. In 1958, following extensive fundraising, the work of restoration and repair was completed.
Address: Park Street, Lydd, Romney Marsh TN29 9AY