The parish church is situated some distance (over two miles!) from the modern village of Herstmonceux.
The tall, elegant arches are some of the best examples of early 13th century architecture in Sussex. The north arcade shows less skill in the leaf carving on the capitals and is thus slightly earlier.
The oldest part is the 12th century tower, which is perhaps the only Sussex tower which forms part of the west end of the nave. The nave, chancel and aisles are from the 13th & 14th centuries, while the north (Dacre) chapel is 15th century. It is constructed of red Flemish bricks and was added by the builders of Herstmonceux castle. The chancel arch dates from the 14th century rebuilding, which also included the aisle walls.
On 3rd July 1944 an enemy bomb demolished three and damaged ten of the windows, the roof and the shingles of the spire.
Address: The Rectory, West End, Herstmonceux, Hailsham, East Sussex BN27 4NY