The Union Windmill was built in 1814 and stands at the highest point overlooking the town of Cranbrook. It is the second tallest surviving windmill in the British Isles, measuring 72 feet to the top of the cap. It is the tallest surviving smock mill, with an eight-sided three-storey brick base and a four-storey, fixed wooden tower above that, clad in white painted weather-board. It has four sails (called sweeps in the Southeast) with patent shutters and a fantail which keeps the sweeps facing into the wind at all times. The mill has recently undergone major renovations and is in excellent working order. A steward is on duty on each floor to explain the workings of the mill and, wind permitting, wheat is ground to produce wholemeal flour which can be purchased in our shop.